Top 10 things I miss the most about Sardinia

It’s the little things that I miss the most about Sardinia, and seven months later I’m still heartbroken over leaving her beautiful, mysterious land. Considering I’m feeling all sorts of nostalgia over my breakup, I’ve decided to compile a short top 10 list of what I miss the most about her.

Jennifer Avventura

Top 10 Things I miss the most about Sardinia

1. Saying buongiorno when entering any type of shop.
  2. The Mediterranean smell of her salt water hair.
  3. A perfectly poured espresso with a mirto chaser.
  4. The sloping red, granite landscape.
  5. Pasta, oh yes, pasta!
  6. The earthy, dirty red known as Cannonau.
  7. Swimming in the crystal, clear, clean waters only known unto her.
  8. Her secret and seductive language.
  9. Seadas, seadas, seadas!
  10. Her humble and hospitable people.

I lived on her land for six long, beautiful years and there is not a day that passes that I don’t think or daydream about her. I’ve set foot on countless countries but Sardinia really, truly stole my heart.

Have you recently re-expatriated? How are your feelings of nostalgia?

This entry was posted in SARDINIA - SARDEGNA, Top 10, Top 10 Lists and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Top 10 things I miss the most about Sardinia

1. I just got back from vacation there and you’re making me nostalgic all over again!!! There is such beauty and tranquility there that it’s so hard to out into words. I too miss the water, the air, the food..but there’s one more thing…that earthy smell of the plants/soil on the way to the beach. I have no idea what it is but I smell it the moment we arrive 😉

2. Jennifer, even though I am fortunate to still be living in Rome, I can feel your pain accutely. My wife and I are addicted, addicted to saying “buon giorno” when entering stores, to the smell of the Medirerranean, to the perfectly poured expresso, to the people who live in our proximity, to the food, to our friends and to the Italian way of life. I would feel at sea if I left.

Keep thinking in Sardinian and perhaps one day you’ll return.

Paul

3. chirose says:

I feel that way about leaving Mexico. I miss saying “buenas tardes” to everyone walking down the street. I miss saying “provecho” to everyone right before a meal. I miss the caribbean sea and sand. The moon is more beautiful down there. I miss the laid back atmosphere. deep sigh….

4. It’s been a while since I left Japan, but I still miss it deeply, sometimes more than others. I am excited to be discussing a future visit there with my family.

5. Not sure you’ve seen… I went back to London for ten days for the first time in three years to meet up with my “adopted family”, and it made me all nostalgic. Felt really teary on my way to the airport for the return journey 😦 I could return, but I’m not finished in Spain yet, and also, it’s a financial issue. And I know you know all about that.

6. BerLinda says:

I miss absolutely nothing about Latvia 🙂

• LOL! I’ve seen that you’re an expat in Germany now! How’s that going for you?

• BerLinda says:

Fantastic! I love it! 🙂
        Moved into my new home today – sharing with a Swedish guy 🙂
        Starting with a couple of groups (teaching) on Wednesday – it’s all go! I was chatting to a guy yesterday and he was like ‘you’ve done more in a week and a half than most people do in ten years’ 🙂

7. Awh what a sweet post ! It makes me wanna visit Sardinia at least once in my lifetime ! ^.^

Once Italy gets into your blood you can’t escape.

• Donna Didde says:

My heart agrees totally! Love being an American citizen but not a day goes by that my thoughts keep from drifting to trips to Rome. I am in love with that ancient city. It’s a beautiful disease this longing I have for Rome. My family tires of me recalling the simple pleasures of life that Rome taught me. So I keep my memories dancing in my head and heart quietly.

9. Tensleep says:

I agree with your list and have a few more items to add
    I miss Pane carasau- flat music paper bread
    With the bread and Cannonau- don’t forget Fiore Sardo or a Sardinian pecorino cheese
    I miss the fresh gelato and passeggiata every evening
    A domani!

10. Anna says:

Nearly three years into my repatriation to Russia my feelings of NYC nostalgia are finally started to wane. I actually even traded in NYC for Florida on this year’s US pilgrimage! But I still miss the crowd at my local Irish pub, absolutely basic but perfect pizza and sashimi, Central Park in the spring, Bergdorf Goodman’s windows at Christmas, and the sense of overwhelming energy at every corner.

11. Rosemarie Kleinberg says:

Ciao Jennifer
    Our short visit in 2010 left us all with a longing to go back, there is something so family rooted that it captures your heart and soul immediately, always wanting to go back! You captured all of your favorites and it is just wonderful! Have a great day! May God Bless!

Love,
    The Sard/American

12. What a beautiful post! I am longing to visit Sardinia before we move back to America next year. I will surely be re-reading your blog for info. when I’m planning. 🙂 XO

13. It has been nearly 5 years here in Shanghai… I am worried about expatriating. Sure life in Canada is easy and it is home, but what about the home I made here for 5 years? I am finally understanding more of the language and getting the sounds right. 9/10 times the taxi driver knows what I am saying and hasn’t sent me out of the cab! The great Mexican restaurant and 2 for 1 burger night, other foods only can you get here, friends, hustle and bustle of the city, the skyline… Sure I miss Canada, but I know one day I can go back and do at least once a year, but leaving Shanghai I am not sure if and when I would be able to return. That makes me sad.

14. You reminded me how wonderful I was in Taiwan. You made me sad… i just missed everything in Taiwan. The food , the people, the busy street, and the TEA.