An Infinite Deep Look at Traditional Costumes from Tonara, Sardinia

Sardinia, Italy is a magical island filled with mysterious charm that is proud to show an infinite detail to each costume representing each town on the island. The island women have for centuries hand stitched their stunning traditional garb to the finest deep detail. Follow me on a photo montage of Sardinia’s traditional costume from Tonara.

Traditional Dress from Tonara, Sardinia

This is my response to two photo challenges:

Travel Theme: Deep
Weekly Photo Challenge: Infinite

Click on any of the links above to join in the fun.

This entry was posted in Culture, Folklore, Inside Sardinia and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to An Infinite Deep Look at Traditional Costumes from Tonara, Sardinia

1. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Infinite | castelsarrasin

2. That must have been as good for their eyes as my 12-hours in front of the screen!

3. restlessjo says:

At first sight these look oriental, Jenn, but then when I see them worn it’s a peasant look. Quite beautiful! 🙂

4. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Infinite |

5. Pingback: weekly photo challenge:infinite | Moondustwriter's Blog

6. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge / B4 Retouch: Infinite (Pointe-du-Hoc) | What's (in) the picture?

7. Infinite detail is PERFECT ! Love it!

8. Suzanne says:

What beautiful traditional costumes. Thanks for sharing them with us. 🙂

9. I can hem and put on buttons. 🙂 My mom sewed and sewed well, so I had sewing guilt for years, because I didn’t. But since I never overspent for clothes, I jettisoned that guilt. It felt so good! 🙂

janet

10. We took a family vacation to Cala Gonone this past summer and dressed our kids up in the traditional costume of Dorgali: http://sdrv.ms/19FM92Q

11. chirose says:

Those are simply gorgeous..!!

12. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Infinite | A mom's blog

13. suej says:

Beautiful costumes, thanks for sharing. I’m with you on a lack of dressmaking skills, but I will do a little ‘make do and mend’ if the need arises! And I did laugh at Browniegate….!

14. Rosemarie Kleinberg says:

I can mend things but a seamstress I am sadly not! My cousins let my daughter try on one of their traditional costumes, and it was so beautiful. They are so talented in sewing as well as cooking and baking! My eldest cousin gave my daughter and myself several pieces of jewelery that go with the costumes, pins, buttons and a broach, just beautiful. Amazing island and amazing people! Thank you as always for sharing so much of Sardegna. I just received an e-mail from my cousins in Anela as they have just finished harvesting their vineyard. Sounds like hard work and so much fun! Have a great day! May God Bless! Continue on for all of your blogs are filled with such interest!

Love,
    The Sard/American

Beautiful post! I love the traditional dress.

16. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Infinite Suns | Humbled Pie

17. Anna says:

I would love to see more of that headscarf on the old lady in the last picture. It looks so much like traditional Russian scarves!

18. loca4motion says:

That’s intricate work! Gorgeous! Do the ladies wear these costumes every day or only on special occasions? In Guatemala the women wear traditional dress in their daily lives. I wish I’d taken more photos of them while I was living there.

• They used to wear them every day now they are worn for special occasions. However, the elderly lady in the last photo was seen coming from church, maybe she wears the costume daily. 😉

• loca4motion says:

Or maybe Sunday best? Is it just the old ladies who wear them or the young ones too for special occasions?

• Oh no, the young ones wear them as well. It’s really nice to see. I saw a young woman in costume at this festival, she was talking on her cellphone and I wanted to capture the moment past and present. I signaled to her that I wanted to take her picture and she quickly got off the phone. I told her I wanted her with the phone and she told me ” Oh, non, non, non, non era cosi.” 🙂

• loca4motion says:

That must be a lovely sight to see old and young women dressed like that. That would’ve been a great shot! I have photos of Mongolians in traditional deels on horseback talking on cellphones! In Guatemala you see toddlers wearing gorgeously woven traditional dress in the streets and market. Beautiful!

19. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Infinite | Processing the life

20. Pingback: Sun dial, Delhi | Processing the life

21. Gaurab says:

That’s a totally different perspective you have given to the word infinite, Beautiful pictures 🙂