Sunday Lovely Sunday | A Traditional Sardinian Wedding

It was a Sunday lovely Sunday that I won’t soon forget. We are on the grooms side of the family and keeping with the traditions, all friends and family of the groom gather at his house to begin the morning festivities. The morning started out just right with a mixture of prosecco and peach juice and traditional Sardinian sweets.

Sunday Lovely Sunday | A Traditional Sardinian Wedding

After the greeting of the groom we made our way to the bride’s house in Viddalba; where a long string of cars honked their horns throughout every passing village.

Viddalba is a small comune in the province of Sassari and it was the perfect setting for a traditional Sunday Sardinian wedding.

We greeted the bride; plates were smashed and the groom handed over the bouquet to his waiting bride to be. We then gathered in our cars and made a honking procession to the church in Viddalba … an angle of paradise between culture, sea, hot-springs and nature.

Chiesa di San Giovanni Battista

The service lasted over an hour and was one of the most beautiful church wedding services I have seen. There was traditional singing in Gallurese, confetti, more smashing of plates and the long-awaited … kiss.

It was a strange day weather wise; it rained, the sun shone and even a rainbow made a brief colourful appearance.

After the church service the long line of cars wound their way to Castlesardo for an afternoon lunch service which lasted 5 hours! It was spectacularly divine.

The view of Castlesardo from the restaurant was priceless as the sun lit up the afternoon sky.

Restaurant with a view.

And just when I thought I couldn’t stomach any more delicious food, along came the cake(s). Yes, plural. There were 7 in total but I only managed to snap 4 of the hand-made cakes.

And of course more sweets … each one carefully hand crafted for excellence.

This was one Sunday Lovely Sunday that I won’t soon forget.

What are some wedding traditions from your culture?

Related articles:

Spring in The Gallura | Preserving Ancient Wedding Traditions
A Traditional Sardinian Wedding Ring | Filigrana Sarda
A Big Beautiful Sardinian Wedding
John and Lara, another beautiful wedding in Castlesardo via WeddingSardiniaBlog

This entry was posted in Events, Monuments, SARDINIA - SARDEGNA and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Sunday Lovely Sunday | A Traditional Sardinian Wedding

1. So beautiful, thank you for sharing!

2. Michelle says:

Lovely post and photos.

3. Margie says:

What a delightful wedding it must have been – much like a fairy tale in all those wonderfully old locales!

4. andydbrown says:

Lovely post and pics!

5. colonialist says:

Wonderful!
    They weren’t exactly crammed in like Sardinians, although it seems the food was!

6. tobyo says:

wow!! I love this! and the photos are all terrific, thanks for sharing!!

7. SEVEN cales? Wow, who would have guessed? I can only imagine what that 5 hour meal must have been like. I’m salivating just thinking about it. Great post, my friend.
    Hugs,
    Kathy

8. Rosemarie says:

Very beautiful, their customs are fascinating. When we were in Sardinia, my cousins showed me their wedding outfits, just beautiful. Here in the states no Italian-American wedding would be complete without the Tarantella folk dance, a staple of Italian wedding music. That’s amore! These pictures are wonderful, thanks for sharing! HAve a beautiful day!

The Sard/American,

9. Marianne says:

Sounds like a wonderful day, Jennifer. I wish the newly-married couple every happiness in the world 🙂

10. loca4motion says:

Gorgeous post! It’s so interesting seeing different wedding traditions around the world. I particularly love your cake and sweet photos!

11. I’ve been to a wedding of my niece in Sardegna, so I recognize your story 😀 Lovely!!

12. David Perry says:

Wonderful shots of an old church. Lots of character in old stone buildings.
    And a stunning view of the water. Nice.
    Thanks Jenny.

OH! You asked for wedding traditions from different parts of the world.
    Ontario, Canada. The groom MUST arrive sober, LOL.
    The first wedding I was involved in (my best friend’s, when I was 17) was not a good example. We were misbehaving all morning, before he said “I do”.
    I was not surprised, when that marriage didn’t last long. He was not ready.

Best wishes for the bride & groom, Jenny. -David.

13. Embee says:

I’m attending a wedding in Sardinia in April, and not sure what to wear!
    I’m from the U.S., and want to make sure I dress appropriately for the occasion.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.