Sardinia, Italy is an enchanting island and sanctuary for adventure and nature explorers and it’s the ideal place to test boundaries and defy gravity in a multitude of exciting ways. The island is blessed with a 1800km jagged coastline, pristine white sandy beaches and a commanding rugged interior that begs the visitor to climb, play, trek and push limits. There are diverse gravity defying adventures that will suit any type of thrill seeker from sunset paragliding in spiritual and ancient places, to free diving at one of Sardinia’s most magical and controversial islands. For those that want to slowly reconnect with nature and find balance within the movement, there’s a variety of diverse yoga activities to rejuvenate awareness, physique, and consciousness. Come and play with gravity to discover a hidden Sardinia witnessed by few.
Top 14 Sporting Adventures that Defy Gravity Sardinia, Italy
- Rock Climbing – climb up, down or across natural rock formations with two goals in mind: the summit and defying gravity. Sardinia is a climber’s paradise with its wild and spectacular craggy peaks and dramatic cliffs, to the tall limestone precipices on the coast, there is plenty of space to climb. There are multi-pitch climbs at Gennargentu, to single pitch climbs at Cala Gonone, Isili and Domusnovas. There are also fantastic bouldering opportunities all over the island. Sardinia is and has been a hotspot for climbers for many years, don’t miss the thrill of reaching the summit and finding freedom.
- Paragliding – this lightweight, free-flying adventure requires a harness and a foot-launched glider that can carry the pilot high above Sardinia’s granite peaks for an astonishing journey of heart-pounding exhilaration. Defy gravity as you soar through Sardinia’s blue sky at several unforgettable spots like Alghero, Bosa and Cala Gonone for tandem flights or Littigheddu near the stunning Castlesardo for singular flights.
- Via Ferrata – a climbing route equipped with steel cables, ladders, and other fixed anchors. Experience a high adrenalin adventure on the rim of a mountain, and then slowly walk around its circumference while attached to a cable. Via Ferrata is about reaching new heights, balance and a deep connection to the natural surroundings. There are several via Ferrata’s on the island, the most popular and fascinating being Cabirol at Capo Caccia near Alghero, on the island’s west coast. This gravity-defying trail traverses along a series of narrow and exposed ledges and every once in a while the ledge gives way to short stepped ascents. Another exhilarating trail is at the island of Tavolara, off the northwest coast. The highest point of Tavolara sits at 565 meters above sea level, and the trail that circumnavigates the small island is a stunning excursion that pushes boundaries, limits and inner balance.
- Antigravity Yoga – combines traditional yoga and Pilates with the use of a hammock that is suspended from the ceiling. This type of yoga is about seamless, fluid movement that will take the user to new heights in the exercise game.
- Mountain bike – strap on a helmet and feel the rush of Sardinia’s mountainous terrain with off-road trails and light to difficult downhills with the purpose to defy gravity and move the soul. Turn corners as fields of pale yellow wheat billows in the salty air, climb slight mountains and arrive in quaint small towns and relish in the quietness and serenity.
- Adventure Training – combine diverse exercise programs such as CrossFit, MovNat and Martial arts for an intense full-body workout. Prepare for the day’s adventure with movement, breath and a deep connection to the soul and environment.
- Trekking/Hiking/Walking –encounter untamed natural beauty and rugged scenery as limestone massifs and lush greenery like Juniper, cork and Myrtle pass by. Discover intense coastlines with deep and rich colours on coastal hikes and windswept plains and sun-scorched plateaus, dense forests and waterfalls on interior hikes. There are a plethora of incredible, eccentric and unbelievable hikes within Sardinia:
- Interior treks: Parco Nazionale del Golfo di Orosei e del Gennargentu (Gennargentu is the tallest mountain in Sardinia at 1834m), discover prehistoric sites at Valle di Lanaittu, uncover the most challenging trek/climb on the island at Selvaggio Blu, between Baunei and Cala Gonone. Easier treks are found in the northwest near Tempio Pausania at Monte Limbara, Li Canneddi and Costa Paradiso.
- Coastal treks can be found all around the island: some favourites are at Capo Testa in the north where odd granite formations take over the land or around one of Sardinia’s islands at Isola Capera.
- Hatha Yoga – this “old style” system of yoga includes the practice of posture and breath that brings peace to the mind, body, and soul. A beautiful and calming indoor and outdoor sport that awakens the mind. Arouse the soul with fluid early morning movements on white sandy beaches that will leave the body rejuvenated and the mind revitalized.
- Acro Yoga – a physical practice that combines yoga, acrobatics, and a partner. It requires a careful balance, core and breathe work, coupled with trust. An excellent indoor or outdoor activity that takes partners to new levels of exercise, trust, and awareness. Begin the day with a partner and open minds to the natural free-flowing transfer of motion.
- Outdoor Yoga – practise yoga beneath an old cork tree or on a white sandy beach, be one with nature and natural movement. Raise the consciousness to new levels as the focus becomes the need to control the mind and spirit. Reawaken the body, mind, and soul with early morning routines that will leave the body refreshed and ready for the day’s adventures.
- Free Diving – is a form of underwater diving that relies on the divers’ ability to hold their breath until resurfacing. Drift effortlessly down and around Sardinia’s azure Mediterranean at Isola Asinara (Donkey Island) in the Northwest and discover an island, off an island, full of secrets that have been kept hidden centuries. Test boundaries as the dive releases freedom and a new-found glory within.
- Snorkelling – Relax the day away snorkeling Sardinia’s blue waters in the northwest at Asinara Island and be amazed at colourful aquatic life as breath becomes circular and effortless. Be still with the world and reconnect with nature in this simple but rewarding sport.
- Stand Up Paddle Board (SUP) – Balance carefully on a paddle board and use a paddle to propel through the calm waters of Fiume Temo on the northwest coast at Bosa, or cross the island to the east at Golfo di Orosei and SUP the day away discovering hidden coves, beaches, inlets and grottos as movement takes over and the flow of breath becomes united with each stroke of the paddle.
- SUP Yoga – Practise yoga while balancing delicately on a paddle board and floating through the tranquil waters of the Mediterranean at Cala Luna, one of Sardinia’s most beautiful spots; a place where the extraordinary mountains of the Gennargentu meet the crystalline sea. Core balance and concentration are keys to defying gravity in this rejuvenating and tranquil sport. Find deep serenity within as the blue waters lap endlessly around the paddle board while the landscape begs to be seen.
I bet you’re wondering where you can do all these magnificent adventures, and I have the answer for you.
The dynamic duo from NüAdventure will be ecstatic to design the right adventure for you. They are adventure seekers and players in the game of life that take you soaring through Sardinia’s blue skies and free diving Sardinia’s deep azure Mediterranean waters.
+39 (347) 934-8615
Do you have the courage? Tell me about it in the comment section below.