Weekly Photo Challenge: One Shot, Two Ways

This week’s photo challenge was well, a challenge. I never, repeat, never take portrait shots. I don’t like how they turn out in but I finally managed to shoot these shots at my favourite beach. Here are the rules for this week’s photo challenge:

For this challenge, capture two images — a horizontal and a vertical version — of the same scene or subject. There are no concrete “rules” here, but a) it should be evident that both shots are of the same place/location or person/thing, and b) your photographs should ideally have been taken during the same shoot — where’s the challenge if you’re just plucking out pictures of a particular location or person from your archives?

Jennifer Avventura One Shot Two Ways My Sardinian life 2013

And now the not so beautiful portrait shot:

Jennifer Avventure One Shot Two Ways My Sardinian Life 2013

Would you like to participate in the Weekly Photo Challenge? Just click the link to learn more.

This entry was posted in Photography & Challenges, Snapshots, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Weekly Photo Challenge: One Shot, Two Ways

1. colonialist says:

Surprising how differently they work out!

2. Paul Corda says:

It’s all a question of perspective…the first shows the overall picture of beach, ocean and background; the second shows the footprints as the main subject and everything else is secondary.

3. Lilly says:

They are both beautiful Jennifer!Name of the beach?

• Lilly says:

Small world!We were there last summer,I have family in Stintino and they let us use a house during August,but we are not beach people and we didnt `go to the beach once.We did go to Castelsardo though and really loved it,checked Porto Torres and didn`t find it to be much,little did I know that to the right of it you can find Li Feruli,is it as busy as La Pelosa in summer?(that place is crazy in August!) On our next visit we may meet and give my husband the opportunity to speak some English as he gets overwhelmed by all these screaming excited group of sardi wanting to all talk at the same time!hehehe

4. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: One Shot, Two Ways | Jacqueline's Blog

5. The portrait shot emphasizes the footsteps while the landscape shows the horizon and the ocean. Interesting how the focus changes. 🙂

6. jaime perez says:

Well, they both are perfect for their format; however, the “not so brautiful”, as you call it, is the most interesting. The landscape one (your beautiful) is just that, a beautiful snapshot. In the other hand, the portrait one says something, tells a story; so, for me, that is much better!

• Ciao Jaime,

I’m surprised that so many people like the portrait shot, I can see now, how it changes the perspective with the focus on the footprints. I just may start to shoot more portraits photos!

• jaime perez says:

Well, jennifer, rember that it’s not the format but the copmposition. In this particular case (only comparing these two pictures) the vertical one is more interesting than the other; it doesn’t mean that every portrait is better than any horizontal. Did you get it?

7. I disagree… I think they are both awesome!

8. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: One Shot, Two Ways | As iAge

9. Ben says:

Great shots! I prefer the portrait orientation, it tells a story with the marks in the sand leading you to the end of the beach. It looks like a beautiful beach 🙂

10. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge – One shot two ways | patriciaddrury

11. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: One Shot, Two Ways | Erin O'Leary Photography

12. Pingback: weekly photo challenge: one shot, two ways | Life + Snapshots