I woke this morning to crisp cool air and instantly had a hankering for Carrot & Ginger soup. I don’t know what brought on this desire, as I’ve never eaten carrot & ginger soup. I went about my ways and searched the web for recipes and I found this super easy recipe – to which I changed a little and added a few of my own ingredients.
How to make Carrot & Ginger Soup
- 1kg of carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- Drop of tomato paste
- One white onion chopped
- Garlic, as you like
- Ginger as you like (I used a piece about the size a tangerine)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Olive oil
In Sardinia some things are very difficult to find, almost impossible to find; but I like challenges and set out to find these three aromatic herbs in five different shops in my town.
But to no avail. These three herbs would make the soup POP, so if you have them in your house use them in this recipe. Instead I used: Salvia, chili peppers and a few twigs of parsley.
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add onion, ginger, garlic, spices. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, when the onions are soft move to the next step.
- Add carrots, stock and 2 cups of water. Simmer, partially covered for 45 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, mix soup in batches until smooth. Return soup to pot and simmer over low heat.
- Serve with a splash of your favourite cheese (I used pecorino sardo) and enjoy!
This was the easiest and quickest soup I have ever made. It was creamy and packed a wonderful punch. I used all fresh ingredients and it took about 90 minutes from start to finish.
What are your variations on this wonderful soup?