Carrot and Ginger Soup

©I woke this morning to crisp cool air and instantly had a hankering for Carrot & Ginger soup. I don’t know what brought on this desire, as I’ve never eaten carrot & ginger soup. I went about my ways and searched the web for recipes and I found this super easy recipe – to which I changed a little and added a few of my own ingredients.

How to make Carrot & Ginger Soup

Ingredients

• 1kg of carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 4 potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • Drop of tomato paste
  • One white onion chopped
  • Garlic, as you like
  • Ginger as you like (I used a piece about the size a tangerine)
  • 4 cups chicken stock
  • Olive oil

In Sardinia some things are very difficult to find, almost impossible to find; but I like challenges and set out to find these three aromatic herbs in five different shops in my town.

• cumin
  • coriander
  • turmeric

But to no avail. These three herbs would make the soup POP, so if you have them in your house use them in this recipe. Instead I used: Salvia, chili peppers and a few twigs of parsley.

Method

• Heat oil in a large pot. Add onion, ginger, garlic, spices. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, when the onions are soft move to the next step.
  • Add carrots, stock and 2 cups of water. Simmer, partially covered for 45 minutes.
  • In a blender or food processor, mix soup in batches until smooth. Return soup to pot and simmer over low heat.
  • Serve with a splash of your favourite cheese (I used pecorino sardo) and enjoy!

This was the easiest and quickest soup I have ever made. It was creamy and packed a wonderful punch. I used all fresh ingredients and it took about 90 minutes from start to finish.

What are your variations on this wonderful soup?

This entry was posted in Daily Life, Fare & Recipes and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Carrot and Ginger Soup

1. Pecora Nera says:

Wonderful, I will try this. Today I made minestrone soup, following one of Mrs Sensible’s recipes, we will have a taste test in an hour..

2. ggnitaly84 says:

This is one of my favorites! Brava Jennifer (I’m obsessed with ginger!)

3. malvaltoffee says:

Miam miam already … will bookmark this. Cheers Jen.

4. I could imagine crumbling some Red Leicester into it…

5. sharron fitzpatrick says:

Sounds lovely, hope you enjoy it. I have had the same problem trying to find herbs to cook with whilst in Uras, thyme not a chance hunted all over the village, so had to just leave it out of my recipe, finally found some many months later on a flower stall at Teralba market – it is now growing happily in my pals garden, along with any other herbs I find whilst out shopping, also can’t find leeks which are so good with white fish and parsnips that my pal hankers for all the time – so packets of seeds are being packed and will be winging their way with me this Thursday.

6. Al says:

What a straight to bookmark recipe! Sl..l..l..u..u..u..r..r..rp!

7. Sounds and looks delicious! I think it’s funny that you were craving this though…looks like fall is upon us here in Sardinia too 😉

• It was really good … unlike the black bean soup I made a few months ago! It was rather weird, I just woke up and said “Carrot and Ginger soup.” Then went off to make it. When I put it on the table for lunch my husband wasn’t so excited though. Next time I’ll have to put some crudo and cheese on the table then he’ll sing! 🙂

8. I recently had some great carrot and ginger soup here in Cuenca, but I didn’t make it. Now I get to try your recipe. Thank you. Sounds yummy!

Hugs from Ecuador,
    Kathy

9. adinparadise says:

This sounds really yummy. 🙂

10. Sounds really yummy I think I will try it once the weather cools. I love to make heartly soups come fall. In China they eat a lot of Golden Soup, which is pumpkin and sounds very similar to this one. Regardless it is yummy too!
    Funny how in the West pumkin is used mainly for sweets… pie, tarts, muffins and maybe a sweet cake like bread. Here in China it is used as a side dish vegetable, in soups and added in other dishes. I have discovered I LOVE pumpkin.

11. Rosemarie says:

I am the only one in my family that likes carrot soup, so when the weather cools more I will give this one a try and let you know. The recipe looks easy and it sounds very tasty!
    The Sard/American