When is the best time to visit Sardinia?

Sardinia is known for its long summer, turquoise coloured warm waters, 200 days of sunshine and an average yearly temperature that will melt any Canadian’s heart. So, when is the best time to visit this magical island in the Mediterranean?

Average Monthly Climate in Sardinia, Italy

Average Temps Sardinia-page-001

Let’s break the year up into groups of four to see what it really looks like in Sardinia.

January-March

These three months are the coldest, wettest and most windy of the year. Locals busy themselves collecting wood to keep them warm during the drabbest months of the year.

April – June

This is my favourite time of year in Sardinia, the birds are singing and the town is filled with smiling happy people and the temperatures are warm enough for jeans and a t-shirt. It’s also the time for my favourite Sardinian festival of the year – Cavalcata Sarda.

July – September

These three months are undoubtably the hottest and busiest of the year. The sun is shining all day, every day and the beaches are filled with global beach goers. It’s the perfect time to chill seaside with the perfect novel.

October – December

October and November are iffy months. We’ve been known to spend an afternoon on the beach in November while the following day is filled with thunder, hail and lightning storms.

When will you visit Sardinia?

This entry was posted in How To's, SARDINIA - SARDEGNA and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

58 Responses to When is the best time to visit Sardinia?

1. The day we can reach it by car 🙂

• That’s easy to do … there are plenty of fantastic ferry services from the mainland! 🙂

You know once a travel agent in Canada told my sister to take the train from Rome to Sardinia! My sister was like WTF?!?! 🙂

• Adrian says:

I Have been in Saedinia this year 2013 in the middle of september. Not so hot how we were expecting. We stayed in Badessi nice view but the wind was blowing like hell and even if the meteo was showing 26C you were feeling like 19C. Out of 5 days in Sarinia 2 were hot enough to sunbath on the beach the 3 others well we visit the island is extremely beautiful and wild…… So i recommend even if is more expensive and a bit crowdy go july or latest mid august. Enjoy Italy 🙂

2. John says:

Seems odd to see snow in the Mediterranean. Great climate though!

Another great post, Jennifer!
    I’ll say it again, you lead a brilliant life!

4. Just mind that coming in winter time means that it is soooooo cold! Even if temperatures are not that low, the humidity is damn high! I’m definetely freezing now!

5. Diane C says:

This makes me want to visit Sardinia even more! I’m just sad you won’t be there. I would have loved to have met you in person!

6. Rosemarie says:

Hi Jennifer
    We went there in June and it was perfect!!! I would love to be there in another season so we can experience a bit more of Sardinian life! The article was fantastic you just write so very well and give us good information that is so useful when visiting another country! I will really miss all of your stories of such an interesting place that many people are not aware of! Have a beautiful Blessed Christmas and very Happy new Year!
    The Sard/American,

• Ciao Rosemarie,

I want to thank you for always leaving bright positive comments on my posts – I am grateful .. thank you.

And don’t worry – I will still write about Sardinia while away working and I’m not leaving Sardinia forever – just for a few months.

7. TheGirl says:

Will definitely mark it on my calendar!

We loved our trip to Sardinia in April this year. I can’t wait to go back for more.

9. This is all very good to know, cause God knows, I want to visit! Sorry to be so behind on my blog reading! Hope you’ll forgive me, my friend!
    Hugs,
    Kathy

When are you leaving?

11. I would have to agree with you that April to June is the best time to visit. I prefer moderate temperatures, so this would be ideal 🙂

12. megtraveling says:

I think May is a great month to travel, and it’s good to know that’s also a good time to visit Sardinia!

I would visit any time of the year…just so long as I could be there once at least

14. Pingback: 2012 Blog of the Year Award « Canadiantravelbugs's Blog

15. Hey Jennifer I have nominated you for Blog of the Year 🙂 Come over to check out all the details.

16. Pingback: When is the best time to visit Sardinia? | Villa Nuraghe in Sardinia

17. Pingback: Caldareddu maccu in Sardegna – It’s crazy hot in Sardinia | My Sardinian Life

18. Tina Onnis says:

Hi Jennifer, ‘locals collecting wood in the winter’ made me laugh. 80% own their own trees and the others buy it for their fire places. What they do collect are twigs which they use on their barbeques to start off a fire, don’t you remember? Apart from that all months are good to travel round Sardinia except the summer unless you love sweating it out. If you wanto to visit Sardinia, in the sense of really going round it , Spring and Autumn are the best. If you just want to laze on the beach and read, the summer is great but you don’t get to ‘see’ much of Sardinia. You can however limit yourselves to sun, sea, fresh air and good food! Not bad anyway by my accounts!
    Tina

• Hi Tina,

In my area it’s very common to go on quad (ATV) to chop and collect large pieces of wood for burning.

I agree that spring and autumn are the best months to visit Sardinia. Much less tourists and it’s still hot, but not super, super hot!

19. Sardinia in september / october is like paradise, perfect time to visit.

20. Supriya Jain says:

Hi, we are planning Sardinia (as a part of trip to Italy) in second half of November. I understand that it is not the best time t visit. However, how ad does this get in interms oif rains and wind. we are coming from India. also, we are not very keen on sun bath. we are looking for a pleasant weather.

• you can do trekking, visit the abandoned mines, see cliffs, excursions to the caves, large canyon, four of the most beautiful villages in Italy (Bosa, Castelsardo,Atzara, Carloforte), event “in autumn barbagia”, boat tours, town of murals (Orgosolo), visit wildlife reserves, community Hippie in Santa Teresa (Valle della Luna), little Barcelona (Alghero), go a day in corsica, see beautiful beaches, eat in sardinian farmhouse, etc.

21. Only Sardinia says:

you can hike, explore the nuragica civilization, the canyons, mines, immerse yourself in the event “Autunno in Barbagia”, breathtaking cliffs, caves, boat trips, wildlife oasis, hippy community in Santa Teresa, 2 of the most 100 beautiful villages in Italy (Bosa and Castelsardo) etc etc

22. Sarah P says:

Hi
    My husband and I are looking at visiting Northwest Sardinia including Castelsardo in the first week of December. We would be grateful of tips and places to visit as we have read that many places shut down in December.
    Thanks

• Hello! You are correct that most things do shut down in December. Castlesardo however, should have some things going on. Sassari is the largest city and is only a 30 minute drive from Castlesardo. You will find all kinds of muesums there, cafes, shops, etc. Wishing you a fabulous holiday!

23. Tessa says:

HI Jennifer
    I want to travel with my 6 year old to Alghero in April. Worried that there wont be much on to entertain her as apparently iit’s off-season, the beaches are too cold to bathe and most hotels don’t have heated pools?!? I really want to go but want her to have a good time too.
    Any suggestions?

• Hello! My advice is to just go. Sardinia is beautiful in the spring time, much less tourists and you’ll have the beach to yourself. The water may still be a little cold to swim in but relaxing on the beach will be nice and warm. Wishing you a wonderful holiday!

24. Dave says:

Travelling to the north and North west fro. Late September to early October. Can’t wait. Your blog just got us even more excited!!,

25. Reblogged this on My Sardinian Life and commented:

Anytime is the best time to visit Sardinia. Check out my monthly comparison post and see which month works best for you. I love May and September in Sardinia. Still hot but less tourists.

26. TG says:

We have travelled to Sardinia in June and September – both months have been great. Most recently (June 2015) we stayed in Castelsardo and I don’t think it is a pretty as Bosa nor Alghero. Certainly the old area up the hill is lovely, but much of the place is run down and too much concrete covering what are likely to be very pretty stone walled single storey dwellings. The place could do with some TLC. That aside, this article has made me consider going a little earlier or later in the year.

27. Louis says:

Hello dear fellowcitizens ,

Planning visiting Sardinia in January coming year .
    Let me know , pls. , the best places/ cities to be visited.
    Thank u for this favor .
    Louis from Naples , Fla.

28. Elise Kurian says:

Jennifer, if you had one fairly long day, arriving in the a.m. in Olbia, what would you do — in late October?

29. Hi! I want to visit Sardinia between 26.12-3.1., I’ve read many notes, that there are common storms etc. How do you see it? Thanks! 🙂

30. Alex says:

Hi Jennifer
    Me and my wife are going to Sardinia mid-September 2016, for 5 days.
    We are looking into airbnb and we saw lots of nice apartments but we would like to know where is the best location to stay that would make it easy for us to know as much as possible.
    Also how can we go to Cala Corsara and Cala Coticcio.
    And if you could give us any tips of other places to go that would be nice.
    Thank you very much.

• Hello Alex,
      Thanks for stopping by. Which airport are you flying into? Are you staying in one area? North or south part of the island? I only have experience with the north and I’ve never been to Cala Coticcio, sorry.

• Alex says:

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.
        We will try to stay in the North and South of the Island.
        We are arriving in Cagliari and will drive to the North as soon as we arrive.
        Any tips of location to stay in the North of the Island would be nice. thank you

• Try and stay in any agriturismo, they are family run farms with a full functioning kitchen of farm-to-table delights. Don’t miss Castlesardo, Isola Rossa and La Maddalena in the North. Have a brilliant time and let me know if I can help with anything else.

31. Harry says:

Hi Jennifer, me and my young family are thinking of visiting the north of the island in early April, it looks to be raining at the moment, but is it still okay to visit the beaches and still things to do for the little ones.. they are 9 and 5 years old.. thank you.

32. MARY ELLEN STRADA says:

Hi Jennifer,
    A group of us were planning to go to Sicily for the last two weeks of October 2017 to hike. We were told it can be rainy that time of year and we should consider Sardinia. According to the internet the weather looks similar for the two islands. What are your thoughts? Thanks for the help, Mary

33. Kathleen Konarew says:

Hi, Jennifer. I have an interest in Sardinia. We have a restaurant and chef in Sydney, Australia that are Sardinian, Giovanni Pilu and his restaurant, Pilu. I have been to his restaurant and attended a cooking course by him. Your blog looks like it will be interesting in my plans to one day to get there, thanks for sharing.

34. shantha says:

Hi Jennifer, I am from Munich and we are planning to visit Sardinia in Aug. I heard there was a golden rule not to visit Sardinia in Aug because it will be super crowded but we only have Aug month available to visit Sardinia. Could you please advise us, since we would love to visit Sardinia.