8 things you should know before moving to Sardinia, Italy

Sardinia_MapThis blog My Sardinian Life receives daily hits from people looking to move to Sardinia, Italy. So, I’ve compiled a little list for those out there searching for a life less ordinary in paradise. The search engine terms which brought people to my little blog are always written in English: Sardinia cost of living, move to Sardinia, jobs Sardinia and so on.

Canada, England, Australia and America want ‘in’ on this little island secret but before you pack your bags, take these pointers into consideration. My intention with this post is to put into perspective what day-to-day life is like on the most stunning island in the world – Sardinia, Italy. Disclaimer: these are just my opinions.

8 things you should know before moving to Sardinia, Italy

• The grass is NOT always greener on the other side. Life has it ups and downs all over the world, and living in Sardinia is not going to take your downs away. Be sure you are making the move for the right reasons. Question everything! Have no fear!
  • Visit the Italian Embassy or Consulate in your home country before setting foot on the plane.
  • For Australian/American and Canadian citizens looking to work in Sardinia, Italy. As a tourist you are granted a 90 day tourist visa. See this awesome post by my Australian friend who lives in Bagni di Lucca, Italy. She explains it perfectly in her post titled: Getting a visa for a long stay in Italy. This link is directed to Australian citizens, please check with the Italian Embassy or Consulate where you have residency for up-to-date information. Click here for a list of Italian Consulates in Canada. Here for a list of Italian Consulate/Embassy in Australia. If you know the links for the Italian Embassies or Consulates in England or The United States then please leave the link in the comment section below. Thank you!
  • Looking for a job? Good luck, most of the country is out of work and in Sardinia it’s even worse. The unemployment rate for the fourth quarter of 2008 was 8.6%, by 2012 the unemployment rate increased to 14.6%! The rise in unemployment was due to the global financial crisis that hit Sardinian exports, mainly focused on refined oil, chemical products, and also mining and metallurgical products. To make your dream of living in Sardinia come true ask yourself the following: Do you want to live in one of the stunning, small and rugged towns or do you prefer larger cities where everything is easily accessible? There will be more opportunities in the larger towns in Sardinia than the rural areas, however you will need to apply for work while you are still in your home country then have your employer start the paperwork for your work visa. Please check out this super fabulous post by Sara Rosso titled – Help! How Do I Live and Work in Italy? Sara has lived in Italy for like a billion years and she knows what she’s talking about. Be sure to give her a click over at Ms. Adventures in Italy. You won’t be disappointed with what you find over there.
  • What are the best work sectors in Sardinia? Agriculture, fishing, construction, mining and tourism. If you’re experienced and speak Italian and are looking for seasonal work try a basic google search for hotels in Sardinia, find their email and drop them a résumé. Last year, I worked in a 4-star chain of popular hotels as a waitress. The pay was €1500 a month, seven days a week, everyday was a split shift and I worked about 10 hours a day.

Source: Wikipedia

• 2013 is the year where everyone suffers from the world-wide financial crisis and there is no exception for Sardinia. I’ve lived here for 5.5 years and can honestly say that this year will be a hard one. Over the past few years I’ve watched in angst as the number of tourists dwindled. We are now in our first week of July and when I walk into town it’s empty but for the local shop keepers. My little town used to fill up with eager tourists lining the streets for local pecornio, gelato or pane, not this year.
  • Speaking Italian. As a tourist you will be fine journeying though this lovely island, as an expat you will find it difficult to get by on a day-to-day basis without speaking or understanding Italian. English is not spoken nor used in Sardinia. Sure, there are other expats who speak English in Sardinia but the locals … forget it. You’ll be lucky if they even speak Italian! There are over 200 distinctly different dialects spoken in Sardinia and the further away you are from touristy places, you’ll hear less and less Italian. I am greeted daily in the local dialect, my neighbours speak to me in dialect, when I go into town all I hear is dialect. To understand dialect you will need to first understand Italian, and my advice is to take a course before you come or study hard, like I did, on your own.
  • Cost of living. It’s expensive. Very expensive. In the six months I was in Cayman, the price for a bag of potatoes increased to €o.70! Oh, snap! That’s all sorts of crazy bullshit! Today’s Gas Special is €1,74 a litre. $2.38 CAD a litre. $2.48 AUD a litre, you get the picture, riight? Please check out two posts I wrote last year titled: Cost of Living 2012 | Sardinia, Italy and The Daily Groceries | Sardinia Italy for more detailed day-to-day expenses.

I sincerely hope this post puts some things into perspective for the people searching to move to Sardinia. It’s not easy and it’s not all fun and games. If your dream and desire are big enough to make it come true then do it!

Have I missed any important points for someone searching to live in Sardinia? Please tell me in the comment section below.

Is it your dream to live la dolce vita? I’d love to hear about your journey in the comment section below.

This entry was posted in Daily Life, Expat Files, How To's, SARDINIA - SARDEGNA, Top 10 and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

64 Responses to 8 things you should know before moving to Sardinia, Italy

1. Sounds like you are trying to discourage people…. You really want it all for yourself right ;) just joking… Living anywhere but home has its challenges…. Visa, banking, daily life like paying bills can be tough. I can’t say for Italy, but we are living in China and it is tricky sometimes. We are lucky since my work deals with most of these hassles… Yes hassles since language and understanding make them WAY more difficult than at home. I agree do your homework and ask a million questions of yourself and others who have done it BEFORE leaving. Living somewhere is not the same as a vacation…..

• No…that’s the last thing I want to do – discourage people. It really sounds like that? I’m just saying how it really is – it’s not easy finding a job out of country then getting all the documents right, then moving to a strange land.

I like how you’ve said “Living somewhere is not the same as a vacation.” Brilliantly said, thank you!

• Figurati! è un vero piacere
        Grazie a te per mostrare a tutti quanto è bella tua e la mia isola :^)

• LOL. I thought in English but wrote Italian. That “la tua e la mia isola” was meant to be “nostra”.

• Grazie, grazie mille. :)

• No you don’t sound discouraging at all! You’re selling Sardinia as the most beautiful island in the World (which is), how could it be discouraging?! By giving the right informations to those who are really interested in moving to Sardinia? ;^) that’s reality.

• Pietro – thank you for your kind words and continued support! :)

• No I was just joking that you wanted to keep the beauty all to yourself ;)
        One of the biggest misconceptions I had moving abroad was that the workload and daily grind would somehow be less, so we could travel and explore our new city more. Work is work no matter where you are and it is not like a vacation. Of course it has given lots of opportunities to travel and do things since we are closer to them in China than home, but we still need to wait for holidays and long weekends to try and squeeze them in.

2. This pretty much sums up everything you need to know about moving to Sardinia! GREAT post! I wish I had read this before I moved here! I completely agree with the limited english (and Italian!) you’ll hear! It’s amazing how you can drive 20-30min to another town and they speak another dialect!! As for the “crisi” we see it get worse and worse every summer we come here…this year tops the charts! The shops, streets of the Costa Smeralda are…EMPTY! Unbelievable! I don’t know how the locals carry on!!!

3. Very honest and helpful account, especially on the realities of working in Italy, which is something many people don’t consider. It’s a shame, because I’m sure it keeps many younger expats from moving here. And yes, while in other parts of Italy you may be able to “wing it” without speaking Italian, in Sardinia it’s just impossible!

• Thank you kindly for your comment! :) 7 years ago when I was doing research on coming to live in Sardinia, all I found were blog posts about la dolce vita, and at times, it really is la dolce vita. But there is a tough reality about living here that needs addressing and not just swept under the rug. I’ve written over 400 posts on how amazing and stunning Sardinia is, turning it into a fable, and with every fable there is a dark spot – which is reality. It’s important to me to share both sides of My Sardinian Life. :)

4. Tatiana says:

Thank you so much for info Jenn! Great help.

Thank you for mentioning my blog. Many people don’t know about the necessity of getting a long stay visa. Many travel agents don’t mention it.

6. Keren says:

Hi Jennifer, I have been living in Sardinia since 2009 and, like you, I let anyone who is interested in living here know the facts… because actually, it’s beautiful for vacation but very different when you live here day in and day out (like any place really). So I think you did a lot of people a big favor by spelling it out for them (I shared on FB). The brave ones can arrive with their eyes open and have a better experience. Being as prepared and realistic as possible is always a good way to start an adventure….

7. Andrew says:

Hi Jennifer,
    How about living in Sardinia if you’re not having to work there? I work online and so as long as the internet works it’s not a problem as my business will be outside Sardinia. Is work the biggest issue?
    many thanks

• Ciao Andrew,

Yes, work is the largest issue by far. If I could find a decent full time job things would be very different. There is available working internet here – so Im sure you will succeed with your business. Best of luck.

• Andrew says:

Ciao Jennifer,
        many thanks for your reply and that’s a relief to hear (at least for me!). I really love the island and am trying to decide between the mainland Puglia/Calabria?Sicily regions and Sardinia.
        Sardinia seems to have more of what I want but I’m struggling to find a place that meets my requirements as I need a property that can allow we to run events at certain times of the year, be near to the beach but not be ridiculously expensive – all possible on the mainland and Sicily but Sardinia is just much more beautiful to me!
        Do you know where I could find a selection of property agents as I’ve pretty much exhausted the initial google search ones?
        As you’re so prevalent online you should think about making that into a little business :)
        I really appreciate all your insights into the island and life there as it’s so hard to know if you’re making the right move and how realistic everything is in your mind when you’re only visiting!
        Grazie mille!! :)

• Ciao Andrew,

I’ve been thinking about turning my little blog into a business but not sure which steps to take as I’ve never gone head first into the sphere of the internet.
        I’ll ask around for property agents for you. Do you know where on the island you’d like to be? North, South?

• Andrew says:

Hi Jennifer,
        I’ve been looking in the North so far and I like the idea of somewhere not to far from Alghero for the airport as I need to have easy access back to London. I have yet to investigate the south!

There’s a lot that you could do with your blog. Happy to offer some ideas. Just email me directly so that this doesn’t turn into business discussion on your lifestyle blog :)

Thanks for your help!

• A friend has suggested this site and used them to buy property in Northern Sardinia. http://www.keytosardinia.com Good luck!

8. Andre says:

This might be a stupid question but can you get a job in Sardinia if your there illegally ? Getting any type of visa is expensive and takes time. I ask this question because I read that illegal immigrants from Romania and other countries live in Sardinia and work there.

9. Giada says:

Hello there! I found this blog v interesting as I am considering a move to Sardinia because of my bfriend who is from Barbagia…My mum was born there too so I know the places pretty well. I am an Italian girl who moved to London nearly 7 years ago and I’ve been working in childcare for nearly 10 years. My biggest worry is obviously how to find a job there as the situation (especially in the South of Italy and in the Isles) is so very bad! I am thinking of trying to get a job I could do from home (like a virtual assistant or smthg like that). Any tips please?
    Grazie mille!

• Ciao Giada,

After 6 years in Sardinia my husband and I have decided to call Canada home as we cannot find work in Sardinia. It’s sad, I do miss the island. Wishing you all the best.

• Giada says:

That’s so sad, Jennifer…I do love your blog though…Tbh what you said sounds quite discouraging…still hoping things will get better and we will get a chance to build up our lives back in Sardinia. Thanks for your help- take care!

10. Gianni says:

Hi Jennifer…I’m Italian. I was born in Sardinia about 40 years ago, but I’ve lived in Grosseto(Tuscany) for 25 years. In September 2013, after a really difficult year(cancer, problem with my job and with my familiy) I decided to return to Sardinia with my wife and my children, to start a new life here. The problem is that for better or for worse(I hope that is the right way to explain the concept) we are in a different world…Is really impossible to find a job,
    but if you have the opportunity to open a new business, there are so many possibility, just because so many stores have closed or because there have never been. Just this week, my wife and I are trying to open an online store with Sardinian products to sell abroad. I hope to finally have luck. I would also like to create a couple of blogs about Sardinia (one who speaks of excursions, culture, places to visit etc., and another who speaks about natural, organic, eco friendly life and products).
    It is really difficult to succeed I know…And is also really difficult to live here if you are used to lived in another place.
    But at this moment I have no other choices, I have to do it!
    I hope to have news about you and your life, and if you come back to Sardinia, let me know!
    Good luck.

P.S.: I also hope that my English is good enough….

• Renee says:

Hi Jen and Gianni
      Thank you for your blog and Gianni your English is amazing :)
      We may have an opportunity to move to Sardinia, very exciting but I have a 9 month old and I do not speak Italian or any other languages except English. Are there many mums on the island or groups to join as my husband will be off working.
      Thanks in advance

• Giada says:

Ciao Gianni! I was just wondering how is it all going for you and your family back in Sardinia…Are you guys happy with your choice? I am aware that the situation there is really tough work wise but me and my boyfriend (he is Sardinian and moved to London so that we could be together) still have hopes we’ll be able to live there one day.
      Many thanks!

• Giada says:

Ciao Gianni!
        Vi auguro di riuscire con successo a realizzare il vostro progetto, in bocca al lupo!
        Certo: mi farebbe piacere tenerci in contatto così’ mi fai sapere come vanno le cose. Per curiosità’: voi in che zona siete?
        A presto!

• Ciao Giada! Per me è importante avere un contatto con il resto del mondo….e tu che sei a Londra vivi una realtà sicuramente molto diversa! Fammi avere vostre notizie. Io sono nella zona di Sassari. Allo stato attuale tutti i miei fornitori sono della parte sopra Oristano/Nuoro e vado raramente dalle parti di Cagliari(ho solo un fornitore a Iglesias) quindi no ti so’ come vadano le cose laggiù. Qui la situazione non è delle migliori anche se nelle grandi città di rendi poco conto di tutto.

Ciao a presto.

• Gianni says:

Hi Giada, thanks for your reply…yes, it is really difficult here, because we don’t want a simple job, but we want to create something new. We are trying to create a network with other countries, and sell Sardinian products(wine, olive oil and so on…). We have created an online store(www.themediterraneantastes.com) with a blog about Sardinia. We want to promote Sardinia in every possible way. It’s really difficult for us, because we are alone and we need to save all that is possible, but I am a positive person and I think everything will be fine. I think that Sardinia is a good place to start something like that, there is a lot to do….you know. I’m trying to have some contact in GB, perhaps you could be interested?

Best regards.

P.S.: Life in Sardinia is amazing. A lot of beautiful places to visit(I moved here from Tuscany another beautiful region, but I think that here there is an incredible number of natural attractions), but nothing more if you think at places like Florence or Rome…There a lot of people that want to change something but do nothing, and politician that are…politician….

• Giada says:

Ciao Gianni,
        grazie per la tua risposta. Immagino quanto sia difficile al momento ed e’ per questo che sinceramente adesso non me la sentirei proprio di tentare un passo del genere.
        La vostra idea e’ molto bella e devo ammettere che io ed il mio ragazzo avevamo pensato alla stessa cosa ma temo non sia semplice far decollare un business (almeno per noi che non abbiamo alcuna esperienza in quel settore) ma spero mi proverete il contrario e ve lo auguro!! :-)
        Posso chiederti se pero’ o tu o tua moglie avevate un lavoro prima di prendere la decisione di trasferirvi in Sardegna?
        Grazie e a presto!

• Ciao Giada. Anche per noi è un lavoro nuovo, abbiamo esperienza all’estero ma in altri settori…Il vino e i prodotti tipici sono una scommessa, spero vincente. Dobbiamo costruire come già detto tutta la rete di contatti e non è facile, anche perchè qui, soprattutto da parte degli esperti, arrivano risposte sbagliate a quesiti spesso fondamentali(come accise o regole x esportare). Quando abbiamo deciso di venire in Sardegna avevamo un lavoro in Toscana, e siamo venuti con l’intenzione di aprire un società nel biologico con un socio, che invece, a pochi mesi dal nostro arrivo si è dileguato lasciandoci nel panico più assoluto(abbiamo tre figli piccoli…) da qui l’esigenza di trovare un alternativa e di non accontentarsi di un lavoro dipendente…Pensiamo di avere le capacità e vogliamo riuscire a tutti i costi…Se ti fa piacere teniamoci in contatto e ti farò sapere se ci saranno novità o da parte tua se vorrai essere la controparte in Inghilterra e trovare possibili clienti interessati…

Ciao a presto.

11. Valentina says:

This has been great reading. I visited Sardinia in 2010 and stayed in a little b & b in a little village on the west coast, near to Oristano with a widowed Sardenian mumma and her sister – both dressed in the traditional black mourning attire. I found the communication very challenging. I have basic italian travelling words which didnt help much at all. Her son who lived with her was deaf so it was very loud Sardinian language/Sardinian mouthing and sign language all the way. I enjoyed the experience, but I am looking to live for every (Australian) winter, more than the 90 days permitted as a tourist in the Tuscany region which I am currently located for 6 weeks.

• Your experience in Sardinia sounds magical. I would have loved to be part of those intimate exchanges between a mother and her deaf son, I can just imagine how animated they were with their hands and such. Wishing you all the best in Tuscany.

12. bill franca says:

hi jennifer i have done alot of research about italy ive just started to look into sardinia the prices of homes seem very reasonable i live in sarasota fl usa, i have been in sales and marketing all my life mostle real estate, what goes on in this country is something i dont like anymore, i feel change is wonderfull, but the right change, my grandmother was born in palermo sicily, i was born and raised in brooklyn ny, proud of being from there, my mother being italian cooked awesome food, now my wife cooks great, im not looking for much, maybe any sort of job if i move to sardinia, my research was only in the main land and sicily as far as homes jobs and a good place to live, i was born with alot of common sense and street smarts, i am also looking to visit sardinia, my wife has been to calabria with her father who was born there, you seem to know alot about sardinia its great to talk with someone like you, if you have the time maybe you could give me some common sense tips, i would appreciate anything you write, thanks hoping to hear from you bill franca

13. najeeb sadiq says:

I am a Pakistani and I was thinking of settling down in Sardinia.I came to know the real information through your blog which is not only amazing but also an eye-opener for foreigners like me.Thank you for your help and best wishes.

14. Fernando Ferrero says:

Sardegna like the rest of Western Europa is a wonderful place. Why should anybody speak any other language than Italian? USA I dont hope that people will speak my language either. But in Sardegna is Italiano and dialeto. OK part of Sardegna they still speak Spanish and Catalan since long back was part of the kingdom of Spain. Italia very safe and great food. When compare to the USA which food is mostly hot doggies and sugar plus sugar. Bad diet and too many fatt people. Also crime low in Europa while USA since citizens walk around killing anybody and the polize are animals wanting to kill you also. I traveled to USA for 3 months and me + friends was always afraid of ors life. I prefer Europa any day. Next time I visit America will be to Argentina, Chile, Santo Domingo or Cuba but NEVER back to the USA.

15. thomas mancinelli says:

jennifer,Im considering a visit to sardena with the intention of possibly living their during the school year Im retired but have a 9 year old son. how are the schools,and can I find a school that teaches in english,also when does the school year start and end thanks tommy

• Giovanni says:

Hi Thomas, I’m an italian blogger(www.themediterraneantastes.com) that recently moved to Sassari(north Sardinia). I can try to answer some question: school start in September and end in June. Here in Sassari there are few native english language teacher, and I suggest to you to contact one of them to associate the English did in school (little) of tutorials support. I think that you can find something more in Cagliari(south) the other big city of Sardinia(the biggest). I sincerely don’t know how are things in the other cities or villages. If you have some more question, contact me, I’ll be happy to help you if possible.

Best regards.

16. Jessie says:

Hi – I live in London but have a holiday home in telti near olbia. We are thinking of living there permanently or at least try it. I have 3 children, one is staying here to finish GCSE, a 10 year old and a 3 year old. I speak basic Italian, but my kids don’t. I need to get my 10 year old talking asap or he will be very unhappy with no school or friends. Do u know any expats with kids his age? Or is there somewhere to find them? Do u know of a tutor that can help him learn Italian quickly? Any help would be sooooo appreciated x

• Hello! Thanks for taking the time to pop in with your question, I hope I can be of help. The biggest suggestion I can offer is to just fully immerse your children into the school system or if during summer months get them involved in sports or some activity that involves other children from your town. I do not know, off-hand, a tutor to help you out, sorry. I hope this helps and if you need anything please don’t hesitate to write. All the best and good luck.

• Would you be interested in an Italian tutor while still in London? I may be able to hook something up for you. Let me know.

• Gianni says:

Hi, I’m Gianni, an italian blogger. 2 years ago I moved to Sardinia with my family(wife and 3 children) and now I live in Sassari. If you want I can try to reach the canadian teacher that teach english to my last child at the kindergarten and ask her if she has time to follow your children. Let me know if you need other informations about Sardinia or useful thing to know. You can reach me through my website http://www.themediterraneantastes.com.

Best regards.

17. Igor says:

Good day Jennifer.
    I’m thinking of moving to Sardinia, work isn’t a problem. But what I’m having issues with is finding apartments and houses for rent. All I can find is short term rent options.
    Another question is internet pricing and electricity stability.
    Also how many immigrants from Africa are present on the island?

I would love to live in a non rainy area. So the southern cities are the only option.

Best regards , Igor

• Hello Igor,

Sardinia is a beautiful island to live, you will have a wonderful time. What part of the island are you thinking of moving to? Let me know then maybe I can help you out a little more.

• Igor says:

I would love to live in a low rain area. And as I read – it’s the South.

So thats where i want to live )

18. Hello! I am gong to move to Italy next year because of my job and I can’t wait to step on Italian land. I’ve been there a few times to visit friends but I am sure that living there is completely different thing. Thanks for the interesting article!

19. Sara says:

Hi Jennifer-
    I was enjoying your blog then I read you left Sardinia. It made me sad!

How is Canada? I hope all is well.

Did you or did you know someone who tried to start a tourist business in Sardinia? My husband is Italian. We are trying to figure out how to move to Italy and work.

Any information you have would be appreciated!

• Hello Sara,

Thanks for stopping by, I did leave Sardinia and I left my heart and soul there too! Canada is nice, but doesn’t compare to Sardinia. Im counting down the days until I return.

I don’t know anyone that started up a business in Sardinia, however, if you’re husband is Italian it shouldn’t be a problem. What type of business are you wanting to go into? Maybe someone on this forum could help you out …

Good luck.

20. Gordon Harris says:

Hello Jennifer! I enjoyed reading your blog about Sardegna very much. I left Canada and worked and lived in Cagliari in 1983 and 1984, and got to travel a good bit of the island, mostly by bus and train. I speak fairly fluent Italian but found, like you, that the locals do not speak it as much, unless they heard me speaking Italian (with a Canadian accent!), and answered me back in Italian. There are moments in the middle of the frigid winters when I dream about sunny Sardegna!! LOL I am curious to know to where in Canada did you move back? Cheers, Gordon

• Ciao Gordon,

Thank you for dropping in with a great comment! Cagliari is one part of Sardinia I haven’t traveled to, yet. I did go once, but we were in and out, buying supplies for construction. The languages are beautiful on the island, I do miss Gallurese all day, every day. ;) I will be back. Sooner than later. Have you returned since 1984? I am currently living on Vancouver Island. And you? Salute, Jennifer.

21. Life has it ups and downs but Italy is a great country and downs are not so bad. I love your article, though. It is presenting real facts. Greetings! Thank you for sharing it!

22. Ok so,after all these bla bla bla here is my unbiased opinion about living in Sardinia. First of all a bit about me : I’ve been living in Sardinia for the past 29 years and I’m self employed in the tourist business. Where should I start ? Ok here it is : first of all be prepare suffer racism. I’ve been here for 29 years,went to school here,married here,divorced here,married again here worked here,payed taxes,bought and sold homes etc etc..I mean..It’s an entire life we are talking about,bottom line this will not be considered enough by local sardinians to be considered one of them. They are form sardinia,you are not,and never ever will. Racism is alive and kicking in the island and local dumbasses will not have problems in showing it in your face. Another thing to consider is envy. Sardinian people make envy their way of life,period. Even you have nothing,even if you drive a rotten bottom of the barrel 10 years old beaten car they will envy you for this,so be ready to deal with it. Then again,these guys love to have it all without giving nothing back. Social welfare is rampant,working is not a way of life used to build something,is just something seen as an optional,something considered a burden rather than something that generate an income. It actually make sense….why busting it’s ass at work when italian social welfare guarantees a decent life ? Add that 99% of the new generation of sardinians don’t have mortgages : they all live with their parents or in homes built for them by their parents. Worts case scenario ? Parents adding a full floor to their own homes so that their kids can live in once married. There is a constant feeling that people wait a party and/or a celebration to end just to start another one. When Christmas and NYE celebrations are over folks can hardly wait for Carnevale to arrive. Now Carnevale ( or carnival,or mardi gras however you name it ) is a big deal here,something rivaled only by Brasil. It’s a full week of celebration with public and private businesses working at reduce schedule or not operating at all. Now,once the celebrate week is over you may thing it’s over until next here but wait !! No !! They take another long weekend to celebrate carnival’s end. 5 o clock ( ehi,it’s gotta be 5 o clock somewhere,right ?? ) is the pivotal time of the day : the time the long day at work is done and it’s time so sit at the bar and have you liver destroyed by liters and liters of Ichnusa beer ( Ichnusa is the local made beer,sardinian thinks is a 100% sardinian product but Ichnusa was acquired by Heineken a while ago).
    The way they treat their land : sardinians constantly love to arson,trash,pollute an destroy their land. They all act an talk like big time warriors defending their land when someone from mainland italy comes down here to build businesses and hire local people ( read : creating jobs) telling that nobody can touch and take advantage of their land,nobody !! They rather set it on fire,and they do !!!
    About culture ? Zero,nothing,nada. Theaters ? Museums ? Opera ? You wish. And better yet simple conversations ? Fuggedabout it !! Especially the latter. Conversations are kept to a superficial basis,especially when you are in your ’20ies or early 30ies. People here just talk shit,they are just very superficial,very envy of one another. Belive me,after 29 year I speak italian with them and they speak italian back to me but we simply speak 2 different languages. I just live my own life and gave up them,fuck them !

Yeah there are some,of course. Like for example if you are a simple person,if you’ve spent most of your life in a big town and you are fed up with people,chaos,traffic and all the other advantages or disadvantages a big town may give you Sardinian is your place. The sense of peace,the crystal clear waters even in winter time..I mean,really,this is truly Atlantis. And in winter time there is virtually NOBODY. If you are and avid sportsman like I am this is the place to be. You can surf,paddle,cycle year round,amazing.
    Life costs : it all depends what you look for. Personally speaking I live very frugal life. I don’t drink,I don’t party,I don’t go our for lunch or dinner every fucking weekend starting from thursday. Yes,supermakets are bit on the pricey side and so is gas,but you don’t need a big fancy car to get around.
    And then there is air,fresh air. Even after 29 year everytime my plane lands and I exit the airport and it never ceases to amaze me. The air just feels up you lungs and it makes you feel clean inside.

Now…after 29 year if I had the chance would I do this all over again ? I was a little more than a teenager when I came and had many chances to leave but work alway brought me back here,but bottom line I don’t think I would do this again. If you are considering to come here for a short time do it,sardinians will be more than happy to know that you won’t be staying here forever and they will show ( they will fake at doing it..) you the best of them,but if your intentions make roots in the hard,graniteish land thing again.

• Well, now, that’s some strong opinion. I question why you’ve made Sardinia your home for the last 29 years, albeit for the air.

• Tatiana says:

Actually, thank u Tommy! We moving to Sardinia in January . And after your note, I want to do it even more! Negative,you describe,doesn’t scare me. But good points – makes Sardinia more desirable then ever! I guess, u just need a change. We moving to Sardinia after 25 years in USA. And I understand a lot of what u there saying. I guess every country has some bad and some good. It’s ok. Keep looking for a place where u will b happy! Grass is always greener on the neighbors yard ;-)
      Good luck in your journey.

23. Tatiana,best of luck for your upcoming adventure. On and off I’ve lived in the US so I see your point. There are only 2 places in the world I can name right away when I see them on TV without any hint : one is Sardinia,the other one is the Nevada desert. Sardinia will get into your system ( it may get,it depends if this move is temporary or permanent) ,it did to me,I’m not ashamed to admit it,so except for the dumbass locals I steer clear from I’ve learned to make the best out of my life here.
    I remember a Sardinian waiter in San Francisco once told me ” sardinia is beautiful,too bad is full of sardinians”. I have friends from the US visiting me yearly,they love it out here,but they just can’t get their head around these primitive local folks. You will love ,it’ll feels like a primitive Albania,Iran or maybe rural Greece/Sicily without the mafia,but with a lot of garbage,loudmouths,arrogant,low self-esteem jealous folks. You will be the americans,you will be so interesting for them,you will make them very happy by telling them when will you be going away. They will cuddle you,spoil you,open your homes for you. Probably you need a break like this. Come back in a 100 years,it will still be the same,or probably worst.

• I must admit that I’m utterly offended by your honest discrimination against the locals, of the island you inhabit. I will allow your comment to stay on this blog, however any future comments that are discriminatory in nature will not be tolerated.

• Tatiana says:

Lol Tommy you made me laugh! I’m not American by birth. I was born and raised in Sankt Petersburg, Russia. But moved to states for 25 years. And I can tell you for sure there is a bad and good ppl everywhere. You just have to find the one u will click with. And it’s much more good ! And golden rule works everywhere in the world. U know….treat ppl the way u want to b treated… I guess we have been lucky, we meet great ppl and make friends for life in many places. As a matter of fact, I met great woman here, on Jennifer’s site,from Sardinia, we become pen pals for almost 2 years now. ( Thank u Jennifer ;-)) so we planing to live between 3 countries :)! After all- we have friends in every one of them.

24. Tatiana says:

And one more thing. I don’t think u can have 5th ave or Broadway on the island. After all it’s an ISLAND!!!! If u looking for theaters and museums and upscale ppl – maybe u need to move to Milan or another big city. Beauty of Sardinia in it’s nature and simple locals. ( btw, u can find sooooo many towns, villages even little city’s in America, ppl r very simple and never been out of their home towns) So, I really hope your life will be happier for u soon. Best of luck, Tommy.