Weekly Photo Challenge: Home

I’ve spent the last five days pondering where exactly is home for me? Is it Canada, where I was born and raised? Or, is it the stunning mountainous ranges of Sardinia, Italy that I married into? Or, is it the seven mile long stretches of sand in Grand Cayman that I call home?

This is what home represents to me:

I was raised on this plot of land, I ran circles around my grandfather as he mowed the lawn on the driving lawn mower. I found kittens in the kids mini-house and watched them grow into mewing adults and there once stood a 5 bedroom house and a mountain of memories.

Weekly Photo Challenge Home by Jennifer Avventura 2013

Sardinia, Italy

For the past five years I have called this amazing island my home. I have hiked from one mountain to the next, stopped at farms to watch running horses or to see the birth of a new baby lamb. I have witnessed the worlds best beaches and swam in the warm waters of the Mediterranean. Sardinia has stolen my heart, she is my home.

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands

Thirteen years ago this tiny island in the Caribbean was my home; a few months ago she became my home once more. With her inviting waters and seven miles of beach, it is here where I relax, it is only here, at this time in my life that I will call her home.

How many homes do you have?

This is my response to the Weekly Photo Challenge: Home. To see how others live around the world, click here.

This entry was posted in Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Weekly Photo Challenge: Home

I call Australia and Italy home, and feel equally as ease in both places.

2. Three fabulous places I call home. Terrific post Jennifer.

3. Paul says:

I call Sardinia home, Canada home, USA home, Cuba home, Mexico home……wherever I go I immerse myself in the local culture and people and lo & behold I feel I’m home.

4. colonialist says:

‘Home is where the heart is’ is attributed to Pliny the Elder, so the saying has been around for a while. It is valid.
    In my case, home is a place that only exists in memory. It has changed too much for me to want to return.

5. Home is where the heart is :)

6. David Perry says:

Southern Ontario has always been my home, and unless I win the lottery, it will likely always be.
    I could certainly get used to living around the mountains of Brittish Columbia. Somewhere out of town.
    If I live my whole life around here, I’ll die satisfied.

Your answers always rock, Jennifer!

8. I vote for your home in Sardinia!! I’m sure I would love it too. But of course, your home in Canada will always hold lovely memories for you! :-)

9. Life of an expat is a tricky one, but who says you can’t have more that one? One by birth, one by marriage and another by employment ;)

10. kathexpat says:

Hi Jennifer, love your blog! I found myself (a Canadian born in Europe, living in Melbourne and engaged to an Australian) asking myself the same question: where is home!??!