Spring in The Gallura | Preserving Ancient Wedding Traditions

A Traditional Spring Wedding

This past weekend I was invited to an ancient Sardinian wedding tradition held high up in the hills of Fiminaltu. Actors recreate one of the oldest wedding traditions to date with ox-drawn carts and a 90-minute procession down the windy mountainous roads to St. Antonio di Li Colti.

Traditionally the groom gets the pleasure of the ox-drawn cart while the women walk beside. Today however, times have changed and the women are quickly whisked away to the ‘women’s house’ in St. Antonio for their upcoming nuptials and the groom takes the 90-minute ride in the ox-cart, along with the procession of horses and guests.

Participants come from all over Northern Sardinia to take part in this day long wedding festival. Traditional costumes are donned by men and women; some costumes dating back one hundred years.

The Groom, Bride, Sister of the Bride and Mother of the Bride.

Traditional dress from Samugheo

The church in St. Antonio is decorated with traditional wedding flowers and cloth. Young children dressed in their towns traditional costume wait patiently for the festivities to begin.

Traditional hand-woven baskets are put on display.

Local towns people busy themselves preparing the feast. Zuppa Gallurese is on the menu for this wedding feast. Zuppa Gallurese is made with sheep meat, slow cooked tomato sauce, flat bread, grated cheese and parsley.

The beginning stage of Zuppa Gallurese

Once the procession arrives at the church, traditional songs are carried out and the bride and groom are united as one.

I missed the wedding ceremony in the church as I hitched a ride back into town, it was a fabulous morning.

What ancient wedding traditions does your town have?

This entry was posted in Culture, Folklore, SARDINIA - SARDEGNA and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Spring in The Gallura | Preserving Ancient Wedding Traditions

1. niasunset says:

WOW! I enjoyed so much… Thank you dear Jennifer, it was so beautiful photographs and writing up. Have a nice new week, with my love, nia

2. kendrafowler says:

I felt like I was also a part of the wedding procession! Such lovely pics and the I am sure the feast was delicious!

3. A very interesting post. Good pictures.

4. Madhu says:

This is so beautiful! I doubt you need any introduction to an Indian wedding! Especially the garish ‘Bollywood’ inspired ones of late :-)

5. How fun this must have been. I’d never heard of such an event. Great post!
    Hugs,
    Kathy

I think it is great that these traditions are upheld. We bought on of those baskets while we were in Sardinia.

7. janice says:

Very nice, love this kind of festival, and the smaller the town the better. And the more remote the village all the better!

8. eof737 says:

I’m finally catching up again on blog posts. Thanks for your patience! :-)

9. Seems so odd that the traditions have stood the test of time…
    The big tradition in Shanghai is firecrackers and lots of them. They light them off to ward off evil spirts in front of the couples home and then the car will drive up and let them out. I have seen this a lot in the apartment complex where we live. I have yet to go to a traditional Chinese Wedding. Although we all receive “gifts”. Whenever someone is married they give small tokens to everyone at work. For weddings it is often a cute little box filled with chocolates (like the favours we pass out at weddings).

10. Pingback: Sunday Lovely Sunday | A Traditional Sardinian Wedding | My Sardinian Life | La Mia Vita Sarda

11. loca4motion says:

SO interesting! I love the traditional costumes!