Top 11 Reasons Why Living in Sardinia Rocks

It’s been four years since I set foot on this rugged beautiful island, and I’m still in love with Sardinia. It wasn’t an easy transition, but I did it. I’m proud of the area I now call my home, and I’m proud of myself for learning two new languages.

I have complied a short Top 11 list on why I think Sardinia rocks.

1. The sun shines on average 300 days a year!
  2. There are endless beautiful beaches on this island oasis.
  3. The food is amazing. There are no other words.
  4. Plenty of activities to choose from, year round: cycling, kayaking, rock climbing, sailing, windsurfing, surfing, nature walks, running, and so much more.
  5. Summer lasts for six, sometimes eight months a year.
  6. The people are happy and friendly.
  7. The locally grown fresh produce is the best I’ve ever tasted.
  8. Even in the winter the sun shines.
  9. The rugged, red landscape leaves the poet in you without words.
  10. Freshly caught dentice - snapper is the bees knees.
  11. In a 2010 study done by International Living, states that Sardinia is one of the worlds healthiest places to live. Sardinia does boost at having the worlds highest concentration of centenarians.

Have you traveled to Sardinia? What did you think about this ancient island in the sun?

Click here for a list of annual events in Sardinia.

This entry was posted in SARDINIA - SARDEGNA, Top 10 and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to Top 11 Reasons Why Living in Sardinia Rocks

I am looking forward to visiting Sardegna in April.

2. Woman says:

Ohhhh…. 300 days a year you say??? I’m quite jealous of that!!!!!!

Lovely reasons and this is a brilliant post!!! Might have to steal the idea!!!!

3. Sunshine for 300 days a year!!Delicious food!! Am coming there as soon as I can..I always love summer and the sun combined with yummy food…This post is just awesome!!

4. julie says:

ciao! im in milan and so, so, jealous. we have….fog. and gucci. I have never been but it is on my short list of things to do. when is a good time to come before the flood of tourists…about still warm enough to swim. may?

5. I might consider it, i love Portugal.

6. Sounds so enticing, good thing I am in Florida and can boast about its beauty too. lol!

7. Team Oyeniyi says:

Damn, it sounds good!

8. hollabelle says:

oooh la la I think I will have to head your way for a visit sometime! I am especially excited about the food, wine, landscape, company…. :)

9. niasunset says:

“The sun shines” hit me too… I haven’t been in this beautiful island, but my son visited with his friends and he loved so much too. One day, I can make a travel to there dear Jennifer, how beautifully expressed these eleven reasons, Thank you, with my love, nia

10. Pingback: The Geography of Bliss « Wanderlust

We are probably going to stay on Maddelena, in the north.

You should be working for the Sardinian Tourism Board! Seriously…

Well that just got it added to the bucket list…

14. David Perry says:

I live in St.Catharines Ontario, but MY favorite thing about Sardinia is that my pal Jenny lives there! She’s the BEST!
    On the top of my list “Why St. Catharines doesn’t rock”, is Jenny doesn’t live here anymore.
    I miss hanging out, but it was wonderful to see you while you were visiting this month, -David.

15. loca4motion says:

Sounds enticing! Definitely on my “places to go” list! I didn’t know anything about it until I read your blog! I bet you’ve reeled in a few tourists for the island and I agree, you should work for the Tourism Board!

Great post! I think it would be wonderful to live somewhere like Sardinia! I have never been there but hope to someday. I love Italy and can see how you would fall in love with a place as lovely as your post reveals!

17. Molly says:

What’s the cost of living like? That’s always something I need to kn0w ;)

• Today benzina is 1.74 a litre (euro), I spent 70(euro) on groceries this morning: 500g salccisa, 6 slices pancetta, slab of cheesex2, 8 tangerines, 6 bananas, 3 apples, green tea, some veggies, 2liters of locally made wine, 4xyogurt (2.89, a little steep), some brodo, 500g cous-cous, brioss, toilet paper and toothpaste.

To order two pizzas from the local restaurant costs between 10-20 euro. To make pizza at home costs less then 5euro.

It’s a pretty expensive place.

18. Sardinia sounds wonderful. We’ve been to the South of Italy a number of times and will be in Rome for a week in February, but we’ve never been to Sardinia. We now live in Moldova and this morning it was -13 C (8.6F) and when we settle somewhere in the world it will not be in a climate like this one ;) So we should check out Sardinia.

19. jen says:

I’ve only been to Sardinia once – over the Royal Wedding weekend last year – and went with a group of 11 people. It was amazing. We stayed in Alghero and i absolutely fell in love. It set the standard for Italian food – something that Milan failed to meet. Mmmmm spaghetti bolognese!
    Your list is so lovely.

20. Sunny Sardinia! Here in Sydney, Australia, we’re currently having a Clayton’s summer….the summer you have when you’re not having a summer!

21. Angela says:

Great list, glad to see my hometown appreciated ;)

22. Pingback: Sardinia, Italy | A Blue Zones Member « My Sardinian Life | La Mia Vita Sarda

23. ….and Sardinia is a “hot spot” for longevity………..I’m packing my bags.

24. ad agosto rientro x le ferie ne mio paese natale valledoria! dove abiti e la più bella zona della sardegna!! come diceva il mio poeta de andre!!

25. We had a great time in Sardinia in June 2012. We stayed in Posada and mostly visited around Orosei and inland to Orune and a couple of other places. We really enjoyed the beach, the food and a local festival too. I posted loads of picture and a bit about Sardinian history and how similar to Celtic culture I found it. You may like to check it out http://hungryheart62.wordpress.com/2012/07/04/sardinia-in-pictures-and-a-few-words-day-six/
    So envious of you and living there, you are blessed. Will be following your adventures!

26. Pingback: My Sardinian Life’s Top 12 Posts of 2012 | My Sardinian Life

27. Jdo says:

Hi !!! I really do love your blog, I’m french and with my wife, we think about living our place here ( Perpignan south of France) and live in Sardegna… This place is making us dreaming, like you we love sun food and friendly poeple… Please keep on blogging, for me it’s wealth of information to prepare my future… Thks !!!

28. Enrico says:

I am a Sardinian now living in Sydney, Australia. I miss my beautiful island everyday but am lucky enough to be living on another beautiful island on the other side of the world. Sardinia is unique! I now import all the beautiful wines and foods from Sardinia and supply Sydney restaurants and specialty stores. I always look forward to going back to Sardinia and living the Sardinian life…

29. Chetti says:

Had the great pleasure of fulfilling a life long dream of visiting Sardegna last September! Found my cousin there, and wasn’t sure when I left what I loved more, the beauty of the island, the beaches, the food, the pecorino cheese, the cannanou wine, the sun, or the people, so tranquil and kind — I couldn’t wait to go there, now I can’t wait to go back!!

30. Tatiana says:

I can add one more :) all Europe is near by!!! Can go to different country every weekend ;) that’s why we moving there next year!!! Can’t wait.

31. Tatiana says:

Jennifer thank you very much for information about Sardinia. Love reading your articles.