Part of the Tradition

For the better part of three years I have put food on the table, paid bills, went on mini-vacations to the main-land and bought a few things for the house by working in a bakery which specializes in pane, all things bread related. There are four employees: The Boss, The Bosses Best Friend, The Bosses Best Friends Wife and The Little Guy with big halitosis. It’s an easy job and a far cry from the five-hundred seat restaurant over-looking Niagara Falls where I used to wait tables.

Baked Fresh Daily and Locally. Full of fun carbs.

Working in a small, very small town bakery on the mountain-top, in the Med is truly an experience and being part of the tradition that has gone on for centuries is humbling; I feel honoured to know the secrets. Besides making wonderfully fun-shaped, delicious bread we also make the local tradition: Canestre.

Sardinian Canestre

Most towns in Italy, in particular in Sardegna make these canestre. Each town or province will have its own unique recipe, no two the same. This is ours: flour, sugar and … Did you really think I would give it all away? Nah, I couldn’t do that. I’m part of this society now, and some traditional recipes shall remain a secret, for centuries to come.

Bundled and ready to go.

Gallery | This entry was posted in Expat Files, SARDINIA - SARDEGNA and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Part of the Tradition

1. Selena M.B. says:

oh c’mon, you can email the secrets to me, right?

2. Woman says:

it is a secret!!! Shhhhh!!! Like how they put the caramel inside a caramilk bar…. I never want to know it but I just want to eat it!!!

3. Big Sister Beautiful says:

I can’t wait to eat it again!

4. Dianna says:

Hi, just wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting. I’m off to check out more of your posts!

Nice buns, baby! Seriously.

6. mmmm bread! oh how I miss bread lol – when ever I manage to come out for a visit I am going to live at that bakery and eat all the bread! haha

7. midaevalmaiden says:

oh the smells of your bakery must be heavenly.

guy with halitosis? heheh except for his smell.

8. Pingback: Travel Theme: Food | My Sardinian Life | My Sardinian Life | La Mia Vita Sarda